Fellowships from the Brittany Region
A Program Reinforcing Training Through Research
The region of Brittany encourages training through research thanks to its doctoral research fellowships (ARED). These fellowships concern only those students who are working in a laboratory in Brittany which pays both the salary and social taxes of its students.
These fellowships may be co-financed by the State, cities, public establishments of higher education and research, specialized agencies, trade unions, foundations, etc.
Objectives of the Program
The goals of the program are :
• To finance fellowships for doctoral research at public establishments of higher education and research within the region of Brittany.
• To provide teams with necessary manpower to conduct their research properly
• To develop the skills and level of research that are determined to be essential by the Region
• To participate in training young researchers and help place them in Breton laboratories
• To help prepare for/create scientific and private-sector jobs for the next decade
• To encourage scientific and socio-economic development in Brittany
Field of Action of the Program
The choices of the region consider the following criteria, as well as others:
• The quality of the host team
• The scientific and technical worth of the project according to regional priorities
• The social, economic and environmental impact of sustainable development of Brittany
• The professional success of former students/member of the team
Type of Aid
The regional fellowships are meant to cover only the salary of the doctoral student, including:
• Social taxes
• Provisions for unemployment
Amount of Aid
For the AREDs in 2011, there are two possible types of aid:
• Co-financing of 50% of the student salary by the Region: 14,750€ per year (for a period of 3 years maximum) The project can be co-financed by the institution benefiting from the research and/or by other sources (Europe, Departments, Cities, agencies, associations, foundations, businesses, trade unions, etc)
• 100% financing of the student salary by the Region: 29,500€ per year (for a period of 3 years maximum). This represents a monthly salary (before social taxes) of around 1,650€, depending on the partner organization.
Note: Costs (supplies, equipment, travel expenses, analysis fees, outside expenses) are not covered by the regional fellowships.
Subjects Which Concern the Brittany Region
These fellowships are targeted at subjects that interest the policies of the Brittany Region and the scientific interests of the research partners or co-financing partners. The must desire towork on the specified subject to obtain the funding. The results of the Annual Competitive Admissions Process determine whether or not a candidate is eligible for this type of funding.